Students may find the information through the SUNY Korea AMS website or the SBU AMS website. Here are the websites:
SUNY Korea AMS Website: https://ams.sunykorea.ac.kr/
Stony Brook AMS website: https://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/ams/
Lower Division Required Courses - AMS 151, AMS 161, AMS 210, AMS 261
Upper Division Required Courses - AMS 301, AMS 310, AMS 361 (or AMS 315)
Six Additional Courses - 6AMS 301 above courses (2 can be non-AMS 300 level courses)
Upper Division Writing Requirement AMS 300 (AMS 300 can be replaced with the courses which fulfill SBC SPK and WRTD)
General Education Courses - Stony Brook Curriculum (ARTS, GLO, HUM, QPS, SBS, SNW, TECH, USA, WRT, STAS, three among EXP+/HFA+/SBS+/STEM+, CER, ESI, SPK, WRTD)
Total Earned Credits: 120 Credits
Upper Division Credits: 39 credits
Letter Graded Credits: 100 credits
** Students may find the information and the requirement checklist through SUNY Korea AMS website.
Basically, 300-level mathematically or computer programming-oriented courses in other majors can be counted as two of the AMS elective courses. Even if the non-AMS courses that student wants to take have the prerequisite of AMS courses, student must get the confirmation from the AMS coordinator whether the course can be counted as one of the non-AMS elective courses or not.
1) Check the AMS requirement for the declaration of transfer/double major/minor from [Academics] -> [AMS Double Major]
2) Meet with the AMS coordinator to check your academic progress.
(Office: B519, Email: email@example.com)
3) Fill out the declaration form. You may download the declaration form from [Academics] -> [AMS Double Major]
- Transfer/double major applicants -> First Major 'AMS',
- Minor applicants -> Second Major 'AMS', Current First Major 'TSM/ CSE/ BUS/ MEC')
4) Get the signature of the Chair of the AMS Department, Dr. Myoungshic Jhun (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
5) Submit the approved form to the AMS coordinator.
A5-1. AMS 475 is the Undergraduate Teaching Practicum course to assist the faculty in teaching by conducting recitation or laboratory sections that supplement a lecture course. If this is the first time enrolling in the Teaching Practicum course, students should enroll in AMS 475, and if it is the second time, students should enroll in AMS 476.
As per the Undergraduate Bulletin, no more than 6 credits earned through teaching practicum course may apply toward the bachelor's degree, including the other departments' 475/476 courses.
A5-2. The AMS Department usually sends out the announcement email for the recruitment at the end of the semester. If you want to apply for AMS TA, please contact the Chair of the AMS Department.
Student should receive at least A- in the course that you want to apply for.
A5-3. AMS coordinator will request permission for the students who have been selected as TAs to the SBU AMS Department. Once the permission is given to the students, the students will get a message from their SOLAR account that they have received permission to enroll in AMS 475 or AMS 476. Then, students will be able to enroll in AMS 475 or AMS 476 through their SOLAR account.
1) Meet with the instructor and discuss the topic, decide the meeting hours & credits, and receive the approval signature on the form.
2) Get the permission form from the AMS coordinator and get the signature from the instructor.
3) Submit the approved form to the AMS coordinator.
4) Once the permission is given by the SBU AMS Department, student will receive a message through their SOLAR account. Then, you will be able to enroll in the course.
A7. The requirement for visiting Stony Brook University is to complete AMS 261, AMS 301, AMS 310, and WRT 101 in SUNY Korea Songdo Campus. Students can only visit Stony Brook University in Fall semester and they are required to stay at Stony Brook University for one academic year (Fall-Spring).
Yes, undergraduate students are able to take graduate courses if they submit the approved form.
1) Download the application form from [Academics] -> [ Forms]
2) Meet with the course instructor and get the approved signature.
3) Submit it to the AMS coordinator to process it.
** Please make sure to check the box that indicates "I am not enrolled in an accelerated degree program nor have been accepted for graduate study at Stony Brook to apply as an undergraduate student.
A9-1. The accelerated Bachelor of Science-Master of Science allows a student to earn the BS and MS degrees in five years. Only 114 undergraduate credits are required along with 30 graduate credits. In the second half of the senior year, a BS-MS student begins his/her graduate studies. Further, in the first half of the senior year, a BS-MS student may take up to two graduate courses (that will count towards the MS degree), and while a graduate student, he/she may take additional needed undergraduate courses. The advantage of the accelerated program is that the MS degree can be earned in less time since the Applied Mathematics and Statistics MS degree requires three to four semesters of study after completion of a bachelor's degree.
You may find the detailed information on SBU AMS website:
Students may apply at the end of their junior year for admission to the Accelerated BS/MS Program. You can download the BSMS program application form from [Academics] -> [ Forms].
The requirements for applying to the Accelerate BS/MS Program are as below:
1) An overall GPA of 3.3
2) Major GPA of 3.5 higher, and have completed at least 3 upper division courses in addition to AMS 301 and AMS 310
3) Highly recommended courses
- AMS 311 for the Statistics and Operations Research tracks
- AMS 361 for the Computational Applied Math track
- AMS 333 for the Computational Biology track
5) Statement of purpose
6) Two letters of recommendation
*Note: The deadline for application is June 1st for fall admission and December 30th for spring admission. The application should be submitted to the AMS graduate secretary, Christine Rota via Christine.email@example.com.
A1. Students can get academic advice from the AMS coordinator (YounJu Baek, B519), AMS Undergraduate Program Director (Tan Cao, B524), and the AMS Chair (Myoungshic Jhun, B519), and their academic advisors.
1) Students may apply for a leave of absence after they receive the final grade on their SOLAR system.
2) Fill out the leave of absence application form (2 pages) and visit the AMS coordinator.
- You may find the forms on the SUNY Korea website: https://www.sunykorea.ac.kr/en/html/sub03/030505.html
2-1) If you are leaving for military service, please attach the military draft notice letter (입영통지서).
** Please be noted that if the undergraduate bulletin changes, students must follow the updated major requirement after their rematriculation.
1) Fill out the rematriculation application form and submit it to the coordinator.
- You may find the rematriculation form on the SUNY Korea website: https://www.sunykorea.ac.kr/en/html/sub03/030505.html
2) Students must have a meeting with the AMS coordinator to make an academic plan for the next semester.
3) Pay $50 through the SOLAR account.
(SOLAR login -> Account Information/Payment ->Account Summary/What do I owe? -> Charge $50)
4) Send a screenshot of the rematriculation payment to the AMS coordinator.
** Please be noted that students who rematriculate should follow the newly updated undergraduate bulletin.